Trip Number 2   2017 Season
January 6, 2017  
Kronenstadt Ski Club
Pasadena, California  
Trip leader - Kip M.
Bernice, Rita, Aili, Kip, Mary Jo and Rob toast the storm and dinner.
Our fabulous dinner and left overs.

Snow on the tree branches behind our condo.
Snow cones and Snowman built by the neighbors from the condo next door.
Local skier and someday famous Landscape Architect, Corey and Bruce riding up High Five Express. If you call Mammoth it might be Corey who answers the phone.
Snow plow cleaning up the parking lot at the condo. Much easier than using a shovel.
Bruce and Woolly buying goggles at Main Lodge.
Run along Chair 16 back down to Canyon
Lodge on Saturday at noon.
Michael and Bruce on clean up duty for Saturday dinner. Just one of the many perks of being President.
Mary Jo in perfect form skiing down to Canyon Lodge.
The weather press was in full panic mode deeming this weekend the worst storm in ten years and that heavy rains and flash floods would sweep us all into the Owens River. Not quite that bad on the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, but almost that bad on the Western side. Sequoia National Park lost the Tunnel Tree you could drive through. All 8 of us were in Mammoth on Thursday night. Bruce, Kip, Mary Jo and Bernice came up together and ate at Giovanni's. Rob and Aili arrived a few hours later. Rita and son Michael had already been at Mammoth for three days.

Friday morning we were all on the mountain early, standing in really long lift lines. Ski Patrol needed most of the morning to blast for avalanches before the top could open. Almost the entire length of the ridge of the mountain slid into the valley of St Anton as the blasting continued. The snow came to rest in 3 foot square ice cubes randomly stacked. Interesting to see but impossible to ski. Most of us skied chairs # 1 and #2 until late in the morning. It was sunny all day with little wind, with a high of 35 degrees. We all got together for lunch at McCoy Station and were joined by KSC member, Susan C., who was up with the Balboa SC. We skied until closing and then headed for the condo from Eagle Lodge parking lot. A first for the club, we decided to have our group meal on Friday night in case the weather turned and we had to leave early. Kip prepared a delicious dinner of roasted pork tenderloin cooked with green apples and onions. Green beans, red potatoes, bread and salad complimented the main course. Gelato and cookies for desert.

Saturday was the beginning of the storm. There was at least 7" of new snow at the condo and several feet on the top of the mountain. Because of the ongoing snow and clouds, the top was not open. Face Lift was open in the morning but closed after lunch. Today was early-ups for pass holders so we started skiing at 7:45am and had a free breakfast in McCoy Station at 9:00am. The new snow was cut up and bumpy on all the runs, and with limited visibility, made for hard skiing. Mary Jo and I had lunch at Canyon Lodge at 1:00 pm, but then took the Village Gondola and Red Line Bus back to the condo. The others drifted in later in the afternoon. With the snow still coming down, we all decided to stretch the left overs into another meal in the condo.

Sunday morning it began raining with lighting, thunder. Strong winds blew the snow out of the trees and began melting the snow on the ground. After breakfast we all packed up and headed back to Pasadena at 10:00 am. The mountain did not open for skiing on Sunday. We had a very nice time and California can certainly use the water. All my rain barrels were overflowing. Thanks again to Kip for serving as Trip Chairman.           Bruce
Pool party. Michael (Rita's son from visiting from Perth, Australia), Rob, Rita and Bernice. All in hot water.
Mount Whitney at sunset on the drive home.